Aller au contenu

Chikungunya in Cambodia

Tiger mosquito

Cambodia & Health: 2,047 suspected cases of chikungunya

The Ministry of Health issued a press release on Saturday on the status of the chikungunya epidemic in Cambodia.

The ministry said that as of August 6, 2020, its teams have identified a total of 2,047 suspected cases of chikungunya reported in 15 provincial health departments: Pailin, Banteay Meanchey, Oddar Meanchey, Preah Vihear, Siem Reap, Kampong Cham, Tbong Khmum, Stung Treng, Kampot, Pursat, Kandal, Kampong Thom, Takeo, Kampot and Preah Sihanouk.

Of the total number of suspected cases, 58% (1,184) occurred in adults, 30.3% in children over five years old and 11.7% in children under 5 years old. In adults, women represent 58.2% (689 patients) and men 41.7% (494 cases). Over 80% of all suspected cases come from Banteay Meanchey, Kampong Cham, Siem Reap and Takeo provinces.

Chikungunya research serological tests are available in

« Advance European Medicare Center »

Tiger mosquito

About 90% of all patients have recovered and the remaining 10% continue to be treated in public hospitals.

The spokesperson for the national dengue fever program also confirmed that 72% of the total suspected cases were confirmed as chikungunya-type infection. The results of a national study of the national dengue fever program also show that in and around homes, the presence of mosquito larvae was detected in 66.7% of cases. Mosquitoes breed in car tires, bottle caps, coconut shells, plastic boxes, cans and 33.3% in cement pots, swimming pools and other containers.

In order to protect against both chikungunya and dengue, spread by mosquito bites, H.E. Mam Bunheng, Minister of Health, encourages citizens as well as local authorities to increase their participation in eliminating mosquito habitats.

See the article in « CambodgeMag » in French

Language »