Tests performed by the specialist Mr. Gérald BERTIN
The respiratory functional explorations make it possible to quantify the respiratory capacity of a patient. They consist of measuring the volumes of air entering and leaving the lungs (lung volumes), as well as the rate of air circulation in the bronchi (bronchial flow).
Essential help for diagnosing and monitoring chronic lung diseases
Functional respiratory explorations are prescribed for two main purposes:
- To evaluate the respiratory impact of chronic lung diseases (diagnosis, severity and prognosis), for example asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- To monitor respiratory function during the course of a known and treated chronic respiratory disease.
RFE : the indications
RFE are simple tests that are essential for the doctor in many contexts:
- Diagnose a patient complaining of respiratory symptoms (shortness of breath) or presenting risk factors such as smoking.
- Monitor the evolution of chronic respiratory diseases (COPD, asthma, respiratory failure) and neurological degenerative diseases (multiple sclerosis (MS), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)) or muscular disorders (myopathies) affecting the respiratory function.
- Evaluate breathing difficulties and in particular fitness for work (occupational medicine), as well as appreciate the breathing capacity of a top athlete.
Perform preoperative assessment before thoracic surgery or before surgery in a person with respiratory failure.
- Monitor the respiratory function of people exposed to airborne contaminants of environmental (fine particles) or occupational (asbestos, silica) origin.
To detect early respiratory diseases.